Are you looking for a delicious Tomato Soup? This easy hearty tomato soup recipe will have your taste buds dancing! It can be made using an immersion blender or a regular blender. Tomato soup is always a favorite in our house, and it will soon be a favorite in yours as well. Give this tomato soup recipe a try – you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth (see Note) or vegetable broth
- ½ cup half-and-half (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat in a Dutch Oven, until the butter is melted. Add celery and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 to 6 minutes and onion and celery is softened. Add thyme (or parsley) and garlic. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Next, add canned tomatoes, including juice, while stirring. Add broth, increase heat - bring to a lively simmer. Reduce heat to maintain the lively simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot. Alternatively you can blend the soup in batches in a blender. *Caution! It's hot and will burn - BE CAREFUL when using the immersion blender! If you're using half-and-half - stir that in. Add salt and pepper. Stir and you're done! Delicious Tomato Soup!
*You can make this recipe ahead of time. To preserve, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
*Despite it’s name, “Chicken-flavored broth” which is a vegetarian broth is more desirable than vegetable broth in this recipe because of its rich and hearty flavor. Sometimes it is called “No-Chicken” broth, it can be found with the soups in the natural food section of most grocery stores.